Monday, September 22, 2014

Make Your Own Toothpaste

We stopped buying regular toothpaste a long time ago. For a long time we bought fluoride free toothpaste. But I decided to make my own. It's so easy and we LOVE it! Even our little boys! They'd eat it out of the tub if they could!





I use this recipe but I modified it a little and use essential oils instead of the herb tea. Here is what my recipe looks like more or less. I don't really measure!

1 1/2 cups of water
1/2 Tablespoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of celtic sea salt
1/2 to 1 cup bentonite clay
Stevia powder to taste
10 to 20 drops of Essential oil ( I use OnGuard which has cinnamon, clove, wild orange and other oils in the blend).

First you warm the water then mix and blend in the baking soda and salt. You could add the essential oils at this time or later.

Then, add the bentonite clay until you reach desired consistency. If it's too watery, just add some more clay. I suggest going low on the water to start! 

Stir until smooth


Beautiful! 

My little helpers! 



You MUST only use a glass bowl for mixing and storing and a wooden spoon due to the pulling qualities of the bentonite clay once wet. You don't want toxin in plastic or metal in your toothpaste! Once it's smooth I add my essential oil and stir. Store in a glass jar.

VOILA! All done!

I have a sensitive damaged spot on one of my molars. It is healing! It is hardly sensitive anymore to the touch. My teeth feel cleaner and I have less morning breath than I ever have had (lol).

Now, you may feel like you are washing your teeth with mud, you are! But it is WAY better for you and your teeth!

And you know, you can use this toothpaste as a facial mask as well. Sometimes when my face feels in need of a little mud mask, I pull out the toothpaste and put it on. My little boys ask me WHY in the world am I putting toothpaste on my face. Well, boys, the wonderful thing about natural is often times, it's versatile!


No comments: